Saturday, August 1, 2009

Pre Race Thoughts

It's the day before the Sri Triathlon at Elk Lake. Where has the last three weeks gone???? I have had some great training, and have had a few days lately to relax and get a mental breather before this race.

Speaking of this race, it is basically the first big tune-up for the Worlds. It is the second Olympic distance race of the year, after Shawnigan. Shawnigan was pretty early in the season though, so this should be a better picture of what I can do in Kelowna and Australia. I plan to be very observant during this triathlon of how I am feeling, so that I can use the info to plan better for the next few. That being said, this is what I am hoping to do tomorrow.

Swim: 22:30-23:00. Pace / 100m: 1:30-1:33. I don't think the swim will be a wetsuit swim, which I am ok with. I keep my hips pretty high, so I probably have an advantage over some. Time-wise, I'm not really sure where I'm at these days. I have had some good and bad feedback on the swim in training, but I am usually very good at sucking it up for a race and going balls out. I swam 24:14 at Shawnigan,but it wasn't my best work.

Bike: 1:06.00 Avg Speed: 36.4. My last few races were sprints, but I was averaging over 39 kph, so I should be able to hold at least 36. I have been holding above 40kph on the time trials. I don't wanna kill myself too bad on the bike, so this is a very reachable goal.

Run: 39.00. Pace: 3:55. This should also be pretty attainable. I have been doing 10 x 1 km repeats at the lake holding sub 3:30. Not saying that 10 x 1 km is at all the same as running off of the bike for 10 straight, but 3:55 is pretty pedestrian for me, so I should be able to hold at least this pace.

Total Time: 2:09:30. That is with a 1 minute T1 and 30 second T2. I would really love to go sub 2:10.00 on this one. I probably have a better chance on doing this tomorrow rather than in Kelowna, which is a tougher course.

Out do to a little race prep on the bike!

Good luck to everyone!

No comments: