Thursday, August 13, 2009

It's on

This week has been a great week of workouts. It's funny...I didn't even feel that great after my recovery week last week. I was sort of thinking to myself "do I need another week or something???". But apparently that is all I needed. After another good long bike on Sunday, I had my best swim practice of my life on Monday. We were going 400s, 200s, and 100s. Throughout the 2400m main set, I held 1:28 on the 400s, 1:26 on the 200s, and sub 1:23 on the 100s. By far the fastest I have ever swam. I even got down to 1:20 on my last 100! Thanks to Janet for pacing with me for the first while, before accelerating away! I couldn't even hide how stoked I was at this pace. It was one of those days were I didn't want to leave the pool.


Tuesday brought another great day of workouts. I had a great run in the morning, where I was building by 1/3rds from recovery to tempo. For some reason I decided to try and run sub 40 minutes at elk lake, even though the first 6km would be at a really low hr. I missed it by about 1 minute, but I was giving it a pretty good effort by the end to try and make it!

After some rest, which involved painting my bathroom, I had the Sidney TT in the evening. There was a big contigent of Lifesport peeps there which is always fun! I was about 10 seconds off my PB (for my third fastest time of the year), which I am pretty happy with for having tired legs from running and painting, as well as the course was really slow today. One of those days where you go around 37km/hr on the way out, and 45 km/hr on the way back, thanks to the winds. I finished off the day with a nice cooldown in the squash courts! Legs were pretty tired when I got home at 9:30 pm!

Wednesday brought another great day of workouts. It started early, with a 7 am jaunt to the Observatory to do 6 hill repeats. It was one of the workouts where I thought to myself "wow I would never have done this last year." The repeats went really smooth, with each ascent feeling better than the last.

After the bike it was off for another workout in the pool. Although it is tough to take away too much from a long set of 50s, I just feel like I have a better attitude in the pool and can stay strong throughout the w/o.

I think that my last race has been a blessing in disguise. I hate being embarassed, and I feel like I am totally dialed in mentally to training right now. I want to kill it in Kelowna. I feel like more of an athlete than ever before. Triathlon is my job right now, while bartending is a distant second! I have a bit of a cold right now, so I'm crossing my fingers that it's just a passing thing.

Ciao

No comments: