Saturday, August 8, 2009

5:07

Although I had a bad race last week, the feedback from training lately has been constantly reminding me that I am in a good place physically. I am the fastest I have ever been right now.

Last Tuesday I broke my PB in the Sidney Time Trial. That tells me that I am biking faster than I have ever done.

Friday in our open water session I swam one of the 400m sections in under 6 minutes. Again, faster than I have ever done.

Today at our run workout I ran a 5:07 mile, faster by far than I have ever done. Sure, there is a story behind it. We were only doing three mile repeats instead of our usual six, and I accidentally went out too hard on the first one and slowed a little too much on the last one. But my previous best on the mile was 5:15. Last month I wouldn't even dream of doing a 5:07 mile, regardless of how I did the rest of the workout (which, although not well paced, was also a PB for me on best average). For all the metrics out there, a 5:07 mile corresponds to a 3:11 km, only better because you hold it for longer than a km.

I need to get past my bad race and look at my entire body of work this year, in which I have shown quite an improvement.

The run this morning was followed up by a pleasant 2 hour ride in the rain. Did 6 repeats up Observatory, which felt good. My legs were smashed from the run, but I didn't care.
One interesting note is that I had 1 powerbar before the ride (after the run) and one before my hill repeats, but my energy didn't show up until I was riding home, where I got a sudden burst of energy, accelerating up hills even though my legs were so tired. I will keep that in mind for my race day nutrition.

Happy training!

1 comment:

Heather Hollman said...

Yayy.. I was going to email you to tell you to allow comments on your blog :) I'm so happy to hear you are feeling so much better and stronger! I can't believe how fast you are getting!! I'm sure you're going to rock out in Kelowna!