Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Sick

Well this week has been a TOTAL write-off! Here I was excited that I would have a solid week of training / tapering before the Shawnigan Tri, and all I have had is a nasty cold that has taken me through the classic stages (starting from sore throat to overall leakage of the nose and weakness). I started to develop the cold on Saturday night at work. By Sunday morning, I had to cut my bike ride short because I couldn't take the pain of swallowing my water anymore.

Monday was more of the same. I managed to make it out to my Masters group, but I only did 2 of the 3 reps in the Main Set. I was dragging some serious ass. I wish I went in a slower lane so that I wasn't noticeable, but I stuck out like a sore thumb in my usual lane, getting passed more often than not. After that I stumbled home and slept the day away.

Tuesday was a different stage of the cold. The overall weakness that I felt yesterday makes me wish that I did more workouts on Sunday and Monday, when at least I had some energy. I missed a short recovery swim in the morning, as I felt it would just do more harm than good. I made it out to the Sidney time trial in the evening. I was debating on whether or not to go, but I really wanted to move my legs and get out of the house for a bit, so I decided to give it a go.

I did an extra long warmup to get my legs as prepared as possible. I also got to the TT nice and early so that I could go first and get home as early as possible. Not much to report on the TT. I did it in 28:14, with my first positive split of the year. I pushed it as much as I could, but my throat and lungs felt raw, and my legs just didn't have the energy. I 20 minute cool down to the car and I went home.

Today I still feel pretty rotten. This cold better be gone by the weekend! I am pretty worried that even if the cold is gone by Sunday, my body will still be exhausted from fighting it all week.

Better head off to the pool....

No comments: