Wednesday, May 13, 2009

La settimana dopo

La settimana dopo (the week after) the Sooke triathlon has been trying. After the tri I went for a bike ride and an hour into it I got two flat tires. Like two at the same time! Must have been a bad patch of road. Thankfully a bus driver let me on and I made it back to my car without dishing some serious cash!

Monday was a much needed day off, in which I took my bike in to get two new tires. I got some gatorskins which I am told are very flat resistant. I am now paranoid of flat tires even though this was my first flat for 2 years. After shelling out well over a hundred bucks (tough for a student/graduate) I brought my bike home and stored it for the time trial the next day. Tuesday had a non-group swim (always the toughest) where I literally sank for an hour. I was doing 5 x 400m as the main set and was dragging ass. I was just proud that I finished it. My arms were still so sore from the race on the weekend and bartending that night. Later that night was the second time trial of the year. I was eager to not get disqualified this time, but I knew my legs still felt like blocks from Sunday. So 1.5 hours before the race I go to get my bike out of storage and I find that one of my new tires is flat. S$@t! I have 10 minutes to get it down to Fort St. Cycle before they close. After getting the new tire, I was extremely late and rushed to get down to Sidney in time. I just made it and got in a very quick warmup before I was lined up to start.

I gave it my all for those blessed 27 minutes and change. What was different from last week was that the cyclist in front of me was catch-able (word check?), so I was chasing him the entire way, making small ground. I finally caught him with about 7km to go. I ended up with 27:30 something, which was 10 seconds faster than last week. Not bad for some seriously hurting legs. I averaged 39.221 km/hr. Did a small cool down with coach Dan and headed home fast to the girlfriend.

Today was crazy. Due to time constraints, I had to get all my working out done before 1:30. The crazy part was that I had three workouts to do. 1 recovery bike ride, 1 hard Fartlek run, and 1 masters swim. I decided to go bike, run, swim. This was not a good idea. I had no time to eat anything in between these workouts. I made it fine until the swim. Coach Paul had us do a 1500m TT in 1 x 1000 and 1 x 500. Exactly the workout I didn't want to do. I needed to suffer through some 100s or something, but not a straight swim. I was fine for about 500m, swimming easy with the girl beside be. Then she just kept slipping away...... I bonked. I mean I really bonked. The go home and cry to your mommy bonk. I was never going to quit the workout, but I got embarrassingly (another amazing word) passed twice on the 1000m TT, and almost twice on the 500m TT.

This week has been tough post race. I gotta get back into the grove. I think a nice run in the am and brick in the pm will get me back on track. Till next time...

No comments: