Friday, May 22, 2009

The Recovery

I think I am turning the corner on my cold. It started Wednesday, when I was feeling really lousy. I went to our swim practice not expecting anything special. I ended up having one of the best swims of the year. Holding 1:23 on the 100s and 2:54 on the 200s. Since then, every day I have woken up feeling better. I think the excessive amounts of Vitamin C and other supplements have helped me a lot.

This week has been a crazy taper. It isn't really supposed to be a taper, but a recovery week from three weeks of intense training. To give you an idea of the amount of taper it is, I did 16+hours of training last week, and only 8 hours this week. Still working out every day with the group, but shorter more intense stuff.

Since the race this weekend is put on by Lifesport, a lot of the group workouts have been race prep stuff, which is pretty cool. I don't think I have ever prepared more for a race since I started the sport!

Yesterday was a Brick outside in the beautiful weather, doing 2 x 10 minutes in race mode as our main set. Coach Paul on a mental tour around Shawnigan Lake as we did the set. How bout that for race prep ha! I felt pretty strong on the run off the bike. I feel a lot better than even 3 days ago.

One thing that hasn't gotten better is my sleeping. Reducing my workout load by 50% has made me a little crazy. Mentally I can handle it, since I know that I am sick and it's not in my best interest to workout a lot. But physically my body doesn't know what to do. I wake up in the middle of the night squirming around. I have tons of race dreams. Last night I had a nightmare that I was stuck behind the one train that crosses the course on Sunday and had to wait 5 minutes while my competition got away!

I need to relax.

No comments: