Monday, May 4, 2009

A Hurting Week

Since the TC 10k, my body has been pretty sore all around. I think it is due to my first full week of work since school has ended, which involves me being on my feet for at least 6 hours late at night, after a full day of training. Work is hardest on my feet. They have been feeling progressively worse each day. I have been trying really hard to stretch everything and keep ice close.

Monday was a nice swim with a main set of 36 x 50, which we were doing on 50 seconds. We were all thinking that it was a little too much rest, but that we were all tired from the TC and that we would concentrate on good form. Well after about 30 of them, we were all struggling to finish the 50s in 41-42 seconds! The entire set was only 2900m, so it was a nice recovery set.

Tuesday was a rest day for me. I got a nice massage and relaxed all day.

The Weds swim was a sort of breakthrough workout for me. Our main set was 20 x 100, and we were asked to go about 2 seconds per 100 faster than our goal race pace. My goal pace is 1:30, so I was hoping to hold 1:28s the entire way. I held 1:25 strong for the first 10, 1:26-1:27 for the next 5, and then around 1:27-1:28 for the last five. Pretty good for getting a massage the day before, which usually renders me useless the next day.

Thursday was a 1:45.00 brick. The main was 1 x 15mins of different cadence, 1 x 10mins of cad 85-95, and 1 x 5mins all out, with rest in between (these efforts are all at 90%). The run part was 10 x 90 secs on, 90 secs off. I couldn't get much out of my legs on the bike, but the run felt ok.

Fridays swim was a MS of 10 x 200m on 3:15.
Reps 1-5
Hit 2:50 on the first few, then settled in to 2:58-2:59
Reps 6-10
Started to get pretty fatigued, and was hitting 3:00-3:03 on the last few. I think the 13-15 seconds rest was getting to me by the end. I was completely demolished by the end!

Saturday was a TT in the pool, and I was pretty happy with it. After that, we had our Sat morning run with the legend Lucy Smith, who kicked our asses in a 5 x 1mile main set. She was not even going hard and was just jogging a 5:15 mile! Amazing.

Sunday was a 2.5 hour bike followed by 15 mins hard run off the bike, 15 mins ez. I was rolling down the road going about 40k/hr when this biker blew up to me, probably going around 45-47k/hr. It was my coach Dan! Clearly a super-biker. We rode together for a few kms and talked about my training. It was really nice. I love having a local coach that you can actually get to know! On the run, my foot started to kill me after about 12 minutes on the run, so I shut it down early. I was pretty worried, as I have never had a serious problem with my foot. I'm resting and icing all day today, in the hopes of making it better. Happy training!

No comments: