Sunday, May 17, 2009

Heeeeyo

Last blog entry I said I was really tired. I don't think I even knew real tired when I wrote that!

This week has been the heaviest training load yet. Lots of workouts, but also lots of interval/hard/want to puke workouts as well. I threw lots of low intensity in there as well, so that I barely made it through the week. Although my swimming has been less than impressive, my other workouts have been going along well. Doing hill reps on the bike after a race and TT this week has left me tender. Doing tempo runs with Nick as well as others has left me tired.

This Saturday was the creme de la creme of ass kicking. After a crappy swim at Gordon Head Rec Centre, where I forgot my goggles and had to pass a 75 year old lady 45000 times doing the dog paddle in the fast lane, I headed to our group run at Elk/Beaver.

I was so tired and completely planning on dragging ass the whole workout. Then Coach Paul shows up. Then Coach Lance shows up. Then Lisa Mensink shows up. Then Brent McMahon shows up. I was obviously not going to have a crappy workout with three of the top coaches in triathlon, two pros and one Olympian at the workout. We were also doing 10 x 1km, which would not be easy on tired legs. I ended up giving the workout 150%. I managed to lower my km splits to 3:27 by #10, which I was really happy with considering the boys say that the km on the back of Elk lake is 5 seconds slow. After that we could all barely hobble back to the parking lot. The entire Lifesport crew took a dip in the lake after, which was pretty funny. It was basically one of those gut-check workouts that I will remember for a while.

Yesterday at work I came up with a pretty nasty sore throat, so I had to shorten my bike ride today due to my inability to swallow water. Next week is a recovery week and then the race! Hopefully I feel better by then.

No comments: