Thursday, July 16, 2009

Humble Pie

I'm not gonna lie. Yesterday I was dominated. I was ok about it at the time, but upon further reflection I am a little embarrassed.

Sure, there's nothing to be embarrassed about when you are competing against some of the top athletes in the world. But I could have, should have done better! I was pretty amazed to show up to our usual Wednesday swim practice at Durrance Lake and see Linsey Corbin, Magali Tisseyre, Brent Poulson, and Bree Wee among the throng of other pros in town for the week. I was especially star struck to see Linsey and Magali. Linsey is one of the top Ironman athletes, and Magali has posted the fastest 70.3 time for a woman this year.

Needless to say, the swim was pretty fast paced. I am not usually in the front pack on the swim, but I couldn't believe that after about 20 meters, I was at least 15 meters behind already! In fact, I was so far behind at some points that they started the next segment without me. It was crazy. At one point we were doing an out and back, and I turned around before the "turnaround" to latch on to the back of the pack to see what it was like. Well that lasted for a solid 10 seconds ha ha ha. I couldn't even bear to do the last segment of the workout. It was just too much for me. Even Coach Dan sat one rep out. As I got out of the water Coach Lance seemed to read my face perfectly, saying "makes you feel pretty average huh?" ha ha.

I'm really not that upset about it. I only wish that I could have done a run or bike with them, instead of my weakest discipline. It would be amazing to be a little more competitive with them. It did shoot me into reality though of how far I am from being a pro. Not that I thought I was. These athletes are long course, so technically they should be a little slower than short coursers. Believe me they aren't! It will make me think twice next time I put myself as an "elite" in a race that's for sure!

Other than that training has been going well. I damn near killed myself on a run this morning in order to make up for yesterday's swim! I was up all night thinking about it!

Happy training!

No comments: