Sunday, July 19, 2009

Awesome!

The past few training sessions can only be described as awesome.


In my last post I talked about how excited I was to finally get to run with some of the pros. Well, Saturday morning I shot out of bed 2 minutes before my alarm went off (after working late), and was rearing to go to Elk Lake. I grabbed my usual granola and double espresso and headed to the lake. I was excited to see the whole Lifesport Pro camp there, with some extra people sprinkled on top such as Simon Whitfield and Andrew McCartney. I am always star struck when I am around such greatness. It really is like golfing with Tiger Woods. You get to see up close the best the sport has to offer!


Anyhow, for the workout we were doing 6 x 1 mile repeats. Dan had a sore knee so he wasn't running. I was hoping that he was, since I wanted to gage my pace off of him, to prevent me from going out too fast. I was slated to go with the main Women's pack. With multiple Ironman titles in the group, I was obviously stoked to be there!


After a solid warmup we started our first interval. I noticed that the group was taking it pretty conservative the first mile, so I headed to the front to lead. Lucy Smith and Magali Tisseyre shot off the front, and were out of sight pretty quick. Lucy was looking sooo good today! Magali stuck with her for the first mile, which ended up being 5:16, and suffered a bit after that. I got a little gap on the rest of the girls, but I wasn't trying to extend it or anything. I wasn't about to go out and try and show up these girls! They know what they are doing! Did the first one around 5:28. After the first mile Kerry Spearing, who was just ahead of me, asked if I wanted to run with her. I knew it was a bit of a stretch for me, but I wasn't going to say no! We did the second mile in 5:21 or something. It was fast!


Kerry obviously thought it was fast as well, as she slowed down a bit on the next mile. By this time though Bree Wee decided that she was gonna take charge and set the pace with me for the next two reps. It was so fun to run with her. It was all positive and all strong! I was really having a great day! We were doing mid twenty's for the repeats. Reps 5 and 6 were pretty tough for me. Bree just has so much more endurance than me. She grabbed about a 3 second gap on rep number five, and never looked back. It was pretty funny having Coach Paul riding beside Bree yelling at her, and Coach Dan riding behind me yelling at me to go hard! I gave it everything I had to catch her, getting my heart rate up to 191 (100%), but Bree was too strong!


It was an amazing day, with Simon running 4:25 miles, and me and the girls following. It's too bad the pros aren't here every week! When I got home I was pretty sore, so I hopped on the bike for an hour and a half to flush the legs out! All in all a pretty amazing day. I think there are some more pictures to come, but I snagged these ones from Bree's Blog (Thanks Bree!)

The pep talk before the workout



The most intense practice run start I have ever experienced ha! Look at Simon leaning on the right!

No comments: