Saturday, June 20, 2009

Pre-Race Thoughts

This week has been a good week workout wise. Although it has been pretty low mileage, I needed a mental break from long swims, so it has been nice.

Tuesday was a fast paced day. I did a track workout with Nick, which involved a big warmup and cooldown with a 2 x 8 minute all out go on the track in between. I actually collapsed after the second repeat, but it was nice to feel fast and push hard in the workout.

I did the Sidney TT later that evening, with good results. About 20 seconds off my PB, but still averaging over 40km/hr. For being pretty fatigued from the track workout, I'll take it.

Wednesday I convocated from UVic! BSc Honours degree with distinction! It was an amazing day. I had planned to do at least one workout in the morning before, but things didn't fall into place and I ended up having an unscheduled day off.

Thursday and Friday I made up the lost workouts with good swims at the pool and Thetis lake. Add in another thresh workout on the bike and another short set in the pool today (working out beside Kirsten Sweetland no less!) and I am ready to go for tomorrow's race.

I am only doing the sprint portion of the New Balance Half Iron tomorrow, but I am really excited about it. I would do the half IM, but frankly I cannot afford it, and I'm happy to do the sprint. The sprint distance allows me to work on almost everything technical about triathlon, but I can basically train through it and require little or no recovery after. I'm not sure who is in the field tomorrow, but I would like to place top 3 or even win it. I am basing this on the sprint race in Shawnigan a month ago, where I would have been right up with the leaders if I had done that distance. The most important thing I want to do tomorrow is race hard. I want to kick it up a notch on the run, which I didn't do last race. I just trimmed my wetsuit, and while practicing my swim exit on Friday, managed to slip it off like butter! I think I will save at least 20 seconds in transition now!

Better go bring my bike to T1...




Grad

No comments: