Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Cross Your Fingers

I don't want to jinx it, but I think I am finally turning the corner on my cold. Some symptoms are still there, but my energy levels are creeping back up to normal (I actually look forward to working out again), and my performance seems to be slowly coming back. Monday's swim was good. By good I mean I completed it without wanting to float face down in the pool. I held 1:30s or less for the entire 20 x 100 main set, which I have to be happy with considering the last two weeks.

Since there is a big heat wave over Victoria right now (it hit a record breaking 30 degrees yesterday at 5:00 pm, about 10 degrees hotter than the normal temp), I have been enjoying the outdoors as much as possible. Biking to work and other workouts reminds me of the joy of working out for fun, instead of improvements.

I had a nice Fartlek run yesterday along Dallas road, where there was a nice breeze to keep me cool. Later that night was the Sidney TT. I don't think there is anything better than doing a TT at 7 pm when it is still 25 degrees and no wind! I obliterated by PB on this course, clocking in at 26:26, over a minute faster than my previous PB. Not sure if this was due to

i) My new bike fit
ii) Not working out as much for the past week
iii) An instant response to my new regiment of l-glutamine (who knows?)
iv) The conditions were fast today

I think it may be a combo of all of the above. I do think it was a fast course today, since Dan was at least 2 minutes ahead of me, which would give him quite an improvement on his times as well. I'll have to wait for the official results to be posted.

Woke up this morning with a sore throat (what's new?), but overall I feel good today. Off to the pool now. Thanks to Heather for taking these awesome pictures!

No comments: