Thursday, March 19, 2009

Another cycle gone

Another training cycle has come and gone....it's amazing how similar I feel at the beginning and end of each cycle!

After UBC, I had a really great week of training, which completed a 3 week buildup. My swims were going really well. In fact, last Friday I had one of the best swims of the season. I was keeping pace with a girl that I never would have dreamed of 2 months ago. Don't worry, she is still way better than me but the fact that I was even near her made me pretty happy. On the last interval of a 10 x 150m, 10 x 50m main set we had a pretty good race to the finish. It's funny how that happens. Neither of us said anything, but we knew we would go as hard as we could. Both of us shot off, flailing our arms as fast as possible. Of course she beat me, but it was nice to throw a bit of friendly competition into an otherwise dreary workout!

I have (or Dan has) been putting a greater emphasis on my bike lately, which is good. It's currently my weakest discipline, so some hard work will do me good. I had a rediculousely hard spin session on Tuesday. It was a Cadence workout which kills me everytime! I have the slowest legs.

Saturday was our usual interval run workout. I tell you, it was a tough one. 8 x 1k at 10-15 sec under 10k pace. Dan and I pushed ourselves as hard as possible (as usual), but our times were a little slow. It sure didn't feel like it! My heart rate got to 190, which is the highest I have seen it go in a while! Of course, the last km interval was an all out sprint to the finish. Dan and I had our usual sprint finish (if you have not read older posts, that is where I sprint ahead with about 50m to go, and then Dan catches up to me like I am walking with about 10m to go, where I then proceed to go Usain Bolt on him and beat him to the line ha ha).

That run was followed by a 1.5 hour bike, and a 3hr bike on sunday.

This week is a recovery week, and it sure feels like that! I'm exhausted every day (probably due to school as well), and have had lack-lustre workouts this week. Same thing happened to me at the end of my last mini-cycle, so I'm not too worried. Comox Half Marathon this weekend! Pray for some sunshine!

Mj

No comments: