Sunday, January 31, 2010

Bitchin

Well there were a few small setbacks this week.

First, I got home Thursday night after work and noticed that my right shin was completely numb. I started to freak out a bit, and promptly got on Google to see what it could be. Turns out a pinched nerve in my lower back is the most likely culprit.

It also said that it can happen from doing things like sit ups and pull ups. Well on Tuesday I was doing a different set of sit-ups that usual (which I will obviously never do again ha), so I think that is what happened.

Anyway, in classic obsessed triathlete fashion, I wanted to make sure that my leg was ok and there was still circulation going to it. So I ran 13km around Victoria, and then headed to the pool for a couple kms. The leg was fine, other than not being able to feel it. I reasoned that if there was a lack of circulation, it would give out under the workload of running. But I actually ran pretty good, so maybe no feeling in your legs is a good thing for performance!

The next morning the numbness had subsided somewhat, but as soon as I started walking around it was back. Friday at work was not good for it. It was number than ever and I was pretty worried.

I took Friday off working out just to be safe and give my back a rest. After a light swim on Sat, today it feels much better!

Not to bitch too much here, but Commonwealth pool has been getting on my nerves quite a bit lately. It's a great place to train when your on a team, but for drop in laps it is ridiculous! I hate how they come out with a weekly schedule saying that certain pools are open for length swimming all day, and then when you get there, they have a freaking swim meet on! You know they have planned those meets months in advance, but they are rarely on the shedule.

I got there today to find that there was not ONE lane available for public swimming, even though the sched said there was an entire pool available. I ended up switching pools twice, in both cases just making a lane for myself without any lane ropes. I even had to battle a 40 yo lady for space, as she was just floating on her back all over the pool. A little spray to the face on my flipturn did the trick (I'm really not that much of an ass, I swear). I'm just annoyed that they can't get that stupid sched right, so that I don't waste 50 mins of my life driving out there and back.

On a lighter note, the pounds that I put on while traveling are coming off, so I feel a little more like an athlete. I am definitely on a running focus these days, so I can get back in the VIRS ASAP (acronyms anyone?), as well as get ready to be on the HSBC TC 10k team!

Happy training!!

MJ

No comments: