Sunday, February 22, 2009

Training Update

Here is the massive update on my training.

It has been going so well! I love training with Lifesport. Coach Dan has got a really good program going for me right now. I am swimming sooo much stronger thanks to swimming in the group. I cannot beleive that up to this year I have no swam with a group. It is so much harder and obviousely better for training. I can't wait to do a tri and see how much faster I do the swim. Basically I have been doing the same number of workouts/week as last year, but the intensity is just so much more. Having to explain yourself to a coach changes everything.

I was feeling amazing in the pool until this Wednesday, when I completely blew up. We were doing a main set that consisted of 4 x 50's followed quickly by a 400. After two of them, I completely lost it. I had been feeling sick before the workout, and I knew I was in for it. As I was saying, I felt like a brick in the water. The guy behind me that was not even a factor for the first two and the other workouts we have done was suddenly passing me. Not only passing me, but almost lapping me! I felt so bad, but I had to finish the workout. By that point, you are basically swimming backwards, but it is nice to have the group so that I can suffer through another 3k after that point!

After that workout I hopped on a plane, and am now in Calgary. Training in Calgary has been an experience to say the least. I have done 2 long runs in the snow, and they have been really tiring. I try to keep a high heartrate, but the altitude has taken a lot out of my lungs and I am struggling to get into a low tempo zone for my hr. The first 16k run included a lot of hills (aren't we on the prairies???) My knees were pretty tender after, due to running on the uneven packed snow. The second run included a run in (excuse the pun) with 3 coyotes!!!! I was really frieked out! I started to ponder how I would take down 3 coyotes, but luckily that event never happened!

The swims and bikes have been indoors and extremely boring. I can't wait till I go home and get to ride my own bike! !! It has been my largest training volume week yet, and I am exhausted. The family's patience is starting to wear a little thin with my extreme commitment to training, and I am starting to feel a little rediculous for asking to be taken to the rec centre for a 2 hour bike or swim. That being said, I am planning a 2.5hr bike and swim tomorrow before we fly home ha ha! More updates to come.

No comments: