Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Self Transcendence- Race Report

Well the Self-Transcendence triathlon is one of my favorite races for a reason. Always beautiful weather, and the course is unbeleivable. Having completed the course last year in 2:45.something, I was looking forward to seeing all of the hardwork I have put into my training over the last year.

Unfortunatly, my pre-race routine did not work out like I wanted. I arrived late, and had about 2 minutes of swimming practice before the siren went off.
The swim was one of the worst I have had in a while. I did not get into a pack of swimmers, and felt like I was in no man's land the entire way. I actually swam at a slower pace than my half-iron swims. After 26:43 of hell, I managed to get my wetsuit off fairly quickly, and off onto the bike.





The bike went a lot better, as I steadily clawed my way through the field. I fancy myself a bit of a climber, and take pride that I don't need any recovery after a tough hill. After averaging about 34 km/hr, I pushed the pace into T2, well ahead of last years time.

The run went fantastic. I felt good the whole time, and had lots of energy. As I regularily train at Elk lake, the trail felt familiar and comfortable. I found some good people to pace with, and finished the 10k in just over 40 minutes, which is pretty close to my PB at Elk Lake.

I finished the entire race in 2:18:59, which is almost 20 minutes faster than last year!!! I came 3rd in my division, behind Stephen Kilshaw and Scott Dagnall, not bad company!

Next stop is Kelowna










No comments: